Cabbage curry is one vegetarian accompaniment for roti and chapathi which is quick and easy to prepare with very few ingredients. It sort of has a coconut oil flavor added to give a kerala touch to the curry.
Instead of the regular potato curry for roti, Cabbage curry is definitely a healthy option. Its was dad who introduced me to this curry as an accompaniment for roti. As usual i was a bit reluctant to go with this curry as traditional taste belief prevented me from indulging in a new curry with cabbage
CONFESSION: We are not cabbage lover. Except for a few dishes i hate the smell of the cabbage and its soggy texture. Half cooked cabbage is my cup for any cabbage dish. I almost prefer them to stay raw. Dad prepared this cabbage curry with cabbage half cooked and i loved that crunchiness of the cabbage in the curry. The curry is more like a stew and i sipped and slurped until the last drop of it and from that moment Cabbage curry is a regular dish for rotis. At home, all are obsessed with rotis and a rich accompaniment for dinner.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 cups- cabbage, fine chopped
- 1 onion, fine chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, fine chopped
- Salt as needed
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ¾ teaspoon Red chili Powder
- 2 cups of water
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 cup Cilantro, Roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil
- Heat oil in a flat pan. Add cabbage, onion, tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder, Red chili powder, curry leaves and water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook in medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally. Remove the lid and top with curry leaves, Cilantro and coconut oil. Close the pan with the lid. Turn off the stove
- Cabbage curry is ready to be served after 10 minutes