Bisi Bela Bath – complete delicious meal with rice, lentils and vegetables. Dish originated from Karnataka cuisine but I have had a similar dish in my cuisine which we call Sambar saadham. Any time you visit a hotel or restaurant in Karnataka, Bisi Bela Bath will be available. Its that popular dish out of the many rice-lentil-vegetable dish. This recipe is a simplified version of preparing Bisi Bela Bath
Yum Yum yummmy and delicious Sambar Saadham.
Bisi Bela Bath is kinda similar dish but tastes slightly different due to the aroma and flavor of roasted spices and the coconut. Creamy broth from cooked lentils, vegetables and rice gives a creamy texture to the dish. Indian Spices combined to form a wonderful spice blend called Bisi Bela Bath Masala adds the luscious taste to the dish.
Bisi Bela Bath is a filling dish which can be had for a Breakfast or Lunch. My fond for Bisi Bela Bath started last year. Ooohhh…. I’m sorry. let me not repeat the story. I have been telling my Bisi Bela Bath love all the way starting from making the Bisi Bela Bath masala.
Vegetables used in this recipe are the ones available in my pantry. You may use brinjals, Ashgourd, Potatoes, Raw Plantain or any vegetable you like
Bisi Bela Bath is one recipe which when had makes you feel full and get going for the whole day.
HOW TO MAKE BISI BELA BATH
- 1 cup Rice
- ¾ Cup Tuvar dal / Toor dal / Pigeon Pea Lentils
- 1 cup Gry Green Peas Soaked Overnight
- 1 cup Carrot diced
- 1 cup Calabash / Bottle Gourd Diced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Cups Water
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 5 tablespoon Bisi bela bath Masala – Detailed Steps to make Bisi Bela Bath Masala Given
- 5 tablespoon Tamarind Pulp
- 5 Cups water
- To temper:
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 Dry red chillies
- 1 Onion fine chopped
- 1 Tomato Fine chopped
- ½ tsp Asafoetida powder
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- 10 pieces Cashews
- 10 pieces Peanuts
- ½ Cup Cilantro / Coriander leaves
- Rinse Rice, Tuvar dal, Green Peas in clean water 4 to 5 times
- Add Rice and tuvar dal in Pressure cooker
- Add Green peas to the cooker
- Pressure cook Rice Tuvar dal, Green Peas, Carrot, Bottle gourd and salt in 3 cups of water for 3 whistles
- Prepare the Spice Mixture:
- Meanwhile mix Turmeric powder, Bisi Bela Bath Masala, Tamarind Pulp, Water in a bowl and let it come to a boil
- when the pressure of the cooker is released and the rice, dal and veggies are done, add in the spice mixture and let it cook in the pressure pan without the lid on for 8 minutes
- Meanwhile heat oil in a small pan. Add mustard and let it splutter
- Add Onions and Tomatoes and Asafoetida and saute till the tomatoes turn mushy and well cooked.
- Pour this tempered mixture to the rice and dal in the pressure pan and mix well
- Serve hot Bisi Bela Bath in a bowl with crispy Papad / Banana Chips. Drizzle few drops of ghee on top of Bisi Bela Bath