Savory Beet muffin or Dhokla is a famous Gujarati food made with gram flour and Semolina.
Savory steamed cake made with gram flour is had as snack or breakfast or Main course.
This muffin has come out well after my 3 fail attempts. One went very dry, other one got a total mess, third one had an imbalance of spice and salt
3 failed attempts and some experiments on this recipe ended in a perfect soft cake textured muffin.
Spice and salt is well balanced. The muffin can be had all by itself or with coconut chutney.
SAVORY BEET MUFFIN RECIPE
- 2 cups- Gram Flour
- 4 tablespoon – Rava
- 1 cup – water
- 1 cup – Yoghurt whisked
- 4 teaspoon – Sugar
- ¼ Cup – Grated coconut
- 2 Green chilies fine chopped
- 1 – Beetroot grated
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon – Turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon – Green Chilli Ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon – Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Sodium Bicarbonate
- 3 teaspoon – oil
- 1 teaspoon – Sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon – Mustard seeds
- 1 pinch – Cumin seeds
- few curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon – Green chilli chopped
- 2 tablespoon – Cilantro
- ½ cup – Grated Coconut
- BATTER:Combine gram flour, Rava, water, Yogurt, sugar, coconut, green chilies, grated beet,
- salt, turmeric powder, green chilli ginger paste,lemon juice, Sodium Bicrbonate and whisk
- well to form a smooth batter. Batter is allowed to ferment overnight
- STEAM MUFFIN: Mix the batter well and Pour the fermented batter in a butter greased
- flat tray or butter greased moulds and steam for 10-15 minutes
- SEASON: Heat oil in a small pan. Add sesame seeds, mustard seeds and let the mustard splutter.
- Add curry leaves, green chilli. Pour this seasoning on the muffins
- GARNISH: Garnish with shredded cilantro and Grated coconut
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve hot or cold with chutney
These are healthy filling breakfast, cutest of all which i like making often. Fun and enjoyable part of being a Food blogger…
You keep experimenting through out your life with various ingredients and cooking techniques and you enjoy every end result. Either its a huge success or a big lesson to learn.