OMG… What a scrumptious looking meal….
This blog post is my Vacation Day – 1 Lunch special
It tastes scrumptious too….. So dig in and see what made me prepare this wonderful plate of goodies.
Biriyani is an all time favorite of mine and kids… For all that love, my dad prepares the Best biriyani almost every weekend … Waiting for that weekend lunch impatiently is very difficult for all of us. Kids whisper their choice of Biriyani to him and get it done…
For a change, i silently planned to prepare Hyderabadi Biriyani (Elder son’s long time wish). Summer vacations started and kids have planned for infinite ways of enjoying it starting from Outings, Backwater boating, Adventurous Theme park visit, Play Cricket, Visit to Grandparents house, Unlimited hours of undisturbed sleeping, Games, Movies, Favorite food, Friends night Stay over and the list seems endless and my head reels hearing to the list every now and then. oooommmmggggg.
Today, the vacations and vacation plans are OOONNNN….
I wasnt literally allowed to sleep last night. List of vacation plans kept flowing again and again…
May be due to their excitement, i sprung up from bed at 3 am. Wanted to satisfy their Day – 1 Food plan satisfied. Since i knew what is going to happen for vacation, i started planning food and activities for them a month ahead. Recipe planning, Menu planning and all was done a month ahead. Grocery shopping for a week done. Pantry packed with veggies and fruits and grocery for a week
All set ready and jump started with this Biriyani preparation
Veggies are just dum cooked or parcooked and used in this biriyani
HYDERABAD PANEER MUSHROOM BIRIYANI / KACCHI HYDERABADI VEGETABLE BIRIYANI
Preparation of Rice:
- Basmati Rice – 1 Cup
- Water – 4 cups
- Marination of vegetables:
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Curd – ¾ Cup
- Ginger – 1 inch Minced
- Garlic – 8 cloves Minced
- Green Chilli – 4 Minced
- Cinnamon – 1 inch Powdered
- Fennel seeds – ¼ tsp Powdered
- 2 Cloves Powdered
- Cardamom – 2 Powdered
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ¾ tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Fine chopped Mint leaves – ½ cup
- Fine chopped Cilantro / Coriander leaves – ½ cup
- Water – 4 Cups
- Cinnamon – 1 inch powdered
- Cardamon – 3 powdered
- Cloves – 2 powdered
- Fennel seeds – ¼ tsp powdered
- Salt – ¾ tsp
- Button Mushroom – 100 gms (washed and cleaned
- Cottage Cheese / Paneer Cubes – 100 gms
- Onion – 1 thin sliced
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Cashew – 10 numbers
- Mint leaves – few
- Coriander leaves – few
- Wash and rinse rice in water for 5 to 6 times or until the washed water gets clear. Soak rice in 4 cups of water for 30 minutes
- Mix the Marination: Mix Olive oil, curd, ginger, garlic, green chilli, Cinnamon, Fennel seeds, cloves, cardamom, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, lemon juice, mint leaves, cilantro
- Marination of vegetables: Place Paneer and mushrooms in two different bowls. Apply marination on the paneer and mushrooms and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 7-8 hours. I marinate overnight.
- Boil water in a deep bottomed vessel. Meanwhile add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, fennel seeds, salt to the boiling water.
- Add rice and let it boil till the rice is 75% done.
- Drain rice using a colander and let the rice cool down. Keep aside.
- Reserve half of the water after straining rice for future use.
- Add reserved water from cooking rice to marinated mushroom
- Heat oil in a skillet and add mushrooms. Saute in medium heat till its fried and cooked.
- Place the marinated paneer in a preheated oven and cook for 3 to 4 minutes
Preparation of Garnish:
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add the sliced onions and saute till its golden brown and fried.
- Remove them from pan and keep aside.
- Add cashews to the left over ghee and saute till its golden brown in color.
- Remove cashews from stove and keep along side fried onions.
Layer Biriyani and cook in Dum:
- Interleave Rice, Mushroom, Paneer, Saffron and Milk in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Seal tightly the pan with aluminium foil, Close with a tight lid and place on a preheated griddle or tawa.
- Cook under dum for 30 minutes. After dum cooking, let it rest for 10 minutes and then remove the aluminium foil and garnish
- Garnish Biriyani with Fried Onions, Cashews, Mint leaves, Coriander leaves
- Serve this Hyderabad Paneer Mushroom Biriyani / Kacchi Hyderabadi vegetable Biriyani with any Coconut Onion Raitaof your choice
- Instead of mushrooms and Paneer, use diced carrots, Potatoes and green peas or any veggies of your choice
- Add ½ tbsp of Rose water and Kewra water while layering the Biriyani
Use any dry fruits of your choice to garnish
I did cook paneer in oven to avoid them getting scrambled
Mushrooms are cooked on a grill to avoid eating them half cooked.
Veggies like carrots need not be pre cooked
By the time i served this for lunch, half of the biriyani got over by kids serving themselves. Had a Tough time to preserve Biriyani for lunch.
kids were very excited to see how dum is used to prepare biriyani. They were excited to help me in marinating the veggies as they liked to play with the veggies and marination.
Warm hugs to my lil ones for the pictures they shot for this post. Loved all the pictures as they came from little hands… Muaahhh