Kolhapuri Dal Fry is a spicy lentil curry from Kolhapuri Cuisine. Happened to taste this curry for the first time when i visited my friend’s place in Bombay. New to a lentil accompaniment for Roti, i got the ingredients noted in my diary from my host. Jotted down few other recipes from there which i found triggering my taste sense like Kolhapuri Egg Curry Kolhapuri dal fry is one easy accompaniment which goes well with Phulkas and rotis. Such a wonderful and easy curry, i took a few more servings to enjoy silently.
Back at home, i tried this recipe with a little modification done as per the spice available with me and it came out really well. This recipe uses Toor dal as the main ingredient. Toor dal can be replaced by any split lentil.
KOLHAPURI DAL FRY RECIPE
- 1 Cup Toor dal
- For the Masala Gravy
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 Onion fine chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 Tomato fine chopped
- ½ tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt as needed
- Sesame Coconut paste
- 1 tbsp White Sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp Grated Coconut or Desicated coconut
- Temper the gravy:
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 Dry Red chilli
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- ½ cup Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Wash and clean toor dal until all dirt is removed.
- Pressure cook toor dal in water for 7 whistles or until its tender but not mushy
Preparation of Sesame coconut paste:
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add sesame seeds.
- Turn the stove to low heat.
- Let the sesame seeds pop.
- Remove sesame seeds from stove and keep it aside
- Add grated coconut /desicated coconut to the same pan and saute till coconut turns golden brown in color.
- Let sesame seeds and coconut cool to room temperature.
- Grind to a smooth paste.
- Add very little water if necessary to grind sesame and coconut to a smooth paste.
- Add this paste to the cooked dal
Preparation of Masala Gravy:
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a while.
- Add chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, salt and saute till all the spices are well cooked, tomatoes are mushy and oil separates out.
- Add this mixture to the cooked dal.
- Combine the cooked dal well with a spatula
- Cook the dal in medium heat for 5 mins until desired consistency is obtained
- Temper (optional) and Garnish (Optional Step:)Heat oil in a pan. Turn to low heat.
- Add mustard and let it splutter.
- Add red chilli and curry leaves and saute for less than a minute.
- Pour this tempered mixture on top of the cooked dal
- Garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve steaming hot Kolhapuri Dal Fry with Roti or Rice